Which optical drive is best for gaming?
- Best overall optical drive: ASUS BW-16D1X-U Blu-ray Drive.
- Best budget optical drive: LG GP65NB60 external drive.
- Best Blu-ray burner: Pioneer BDR-XS06.
- Best DVD burner: ASUS ZenDrive.
- Best for storage formats: LG WP50NB40.
- Best optical drive for Mac: Pioneer BDR-XU03.
Is optical drive necessary for gaming? For most games today, you will not need an optical drive because you can play almost all your games by downloading digital copies or streaming. You only need an optical drive if you prefer to play old games that don’t have a digital copy.
Can external optical drives play games? Yes, as long as those games don’t require the dvd/BR to be in the drive while playing, in which case you’ll need the dive attached while playing.
How do I choose an optical drive?
- Disc type and read/write compatibility.
- Interface (SATA, IDE, USB etc)
- Recording performance.
- Color and style.